job market thread

Reading this thread has been very interesting, as I will be graduating in
May with an MLS and an MA in History and am currently DEEP into the job
hunting process.

One thought that I have regarding job postings is in regards to years of
experience.  I've noticed that many jobs require a certain number of years
of *professional* experience vs. just experience.  In the internships and
part-time jobs I've had while pursuing my degree, I've been doing the exact
same thing as the professional archivists (except for supervising other
employees).  It seems to me that requiring professional experience (or
putting that term in the job description, because I, like many others, would
not apply for that job having had no "professional" experience) deters
qualified applicants from applying.

A question I have is in regards to job requirements -- I've noticed that
many job descriptions (particularly at academic institutions) do not plainly
state the job requirements.  For example, it seems that a professional
position would require some kind of graduate degree (MLS or MA History).
However, often no degree requirements, years of experience etc. is listed.
Instead, requirements are listed as "ability to do (whatever), experience
with (whatever)."  On the one hand, I appreciate the attempt to make job
requirements flexible (if that's what is the impetus behind these job
descriptions).  However, it often reads to me like the institution is
perhaps unable for some reason to list requirements.  Is this the case?  Do
some universities and other institutions forbid degree/experience
requirements from being listed?

Personally, I prefer that requirements be plainly stated so that I do not
waste my & their time by applying when I obviously do not stand a chance of
getting the position.

Thanks,

Kendra Van Cleave
kendra@tweedlebop.com