Re: Scopes Trial

Hello folks---

I found it interesting how someone on the list said
that "Inherit the Wind" followed actual historical
events very closely.  Bryan College seems to have a
different opinion--- see its web page at
http://www.bryan.edu/scopes/inherit.htm
(scroll down to the numbered points of contention
about 2/3 down the page).  I don't know enough about
the trial to take a side, but the site is interesting.

Bernadette  :)

--- Paul Tarrant <tarrantp@GOLDSWORD.COM> wrote:
> Butcher Sharon L Contr AEDC/ACS wrote:
>
> > ....As a new transplant to TN, Dayton is one place
> I need to visit. This is
> > indeed the Bible Belt here, with many not
> believing in evolution, that we
> > landed on the moon, etc.....!
>
> Sharon,
>
> I am very sorry to hear your regrets for those in
> the "Bible Belt".  Having
> grown up in East Tennessee and chosen to return to
> East Tennessee for work and
> family, I find much diversity.  Evolutional "theory"
> is accepted today along
> with creationism as "part and parcel".  During a
> most recent stay in New
> England, I was astonished to learn that many people
> there thought most
> Tennesseans were merely live examples of "Lil
> Abner".  When I remind many people
> of TVA, Oak Ridge (where the moon rocks were
> studied), the Space Institute in
> Tullahoma; they are genuinely surprised that these
> are located in the "Bible
> Belt".  While we do indulge a little on
> prognosticating football, basketball,
> and other sports championships, we also are quite
> proud of our 3 favorite sons
> who became U.S. Presidents and, of course, James
> Agee and Tennessee Williams.
>
> Do take a trip up to Dayton - a beautiful small
> Southern town.  (Which, by the
> way, is a min stop on the world's largest yard sale
> each year -- priorities must
> be observed.)  And maybe continue on northward to
> "Jimtown" (Jamestown), see the
> birthplace and home of Sgt. Alvin York; then mosey
> on over to Rugby (quite a
> different little town).
>
> We Tennesseans welcome y'all here and y'all come
> back, y'here?
>
> paul
> --

> "All comments and opinions expressed in this message
> are the sole responsibility
> of the
> individual named below, unless cited otherwise, and
> cannot be attributed to any
> other entity living or dead."
>
> Paul M. Tarrant      109 Temple Rd.
> (865)481-3905       Oak Ridge, TN 37830 USA

> listserv@listserv.muohio.edu
>       In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname
> lastname
> archives@listserv.muohio.edu
>
> Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the
> web interface at
>
> http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
> Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt
> <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

=====
Bernadette A. Boucher, MLS (Rutgers, May 1999)
"It's alright to 'like books' but a librarian should like people."

balibra76@yahoo.com