Re: Scopes Trial

Lucy,

In spite of her comments, I'd still like to see Tennesse.

ArKay-in-the-(choke-choke)-smokies

Butcher Sharon L Contr AEDC/ACS wrote:

> ....As a new transplant to TN, Dayton is one place I need to visit.
This is
> indeed the Bible Belt here, with many not believing in evolution,
that we
> landed on the moon, etc.....!

Sharon,

I am very sorry to hear your regrets for those in the "Bible Belt".
Having
grown up in East Tennessee and chosen to return to East Tennessee for
work and
family, I find much diversity.  Evolutional "theory" is accepted
today along
with creationism as "part and parcel".  During a most recent stay in
New
England, I was astonished to learn that many people there thought
most
Tennesseans were merely live examples of "Lil Abner".  When I remind
many people
of TVA, Oak Ridge (where the moon rocks were studied), the Space
Institute in
Tullahoma; they are genuinely surprised that these are located in the
"Bible
Belt".  While we do indulge a little on prognosticating football,
basketball,
and other sports championships, we also are quite proud of our 3
favorite sons
who became U.S. Presidents and, of course, James Agee and Tennessee
Williams.

Do take a trip up to Dayton - a beautiful small Southern town.
(Which, by the
way, is a min stop on the world's largest yard sale each year --
priorities must
be observed.)  And maybe continue on northward to "Jimtown"
(Jamestown), see the
birthplace and home of Sgt. Alvin York; then mosey on over to Rugby
(quite a
different little town).

We Tennesseans welcome y'all here and y'all come back, y'here?

paul
"All comments and opinions expressed in this message are the sole
responsibility
of the
individual named below, unless cited otherwise, and cannot be
attributed to any
other entity living or dead."

Paul M. Tarrant      109 Temple Rd.
(865)481-3905       Oak Ridge, TN 37830 USA