Re: labels

Ah, yes, the folder label issue!

I have been in the profession for twenty years and have yet to find a folder
label that adheres for the long-term. Most fall off within ten  years or
less. I have tried all types, including the foil-backed ones, to no avail. I
would guess that labels applied with some kind of adhesive might stay on
longer, but who has the time to do this? For the most part, we use a #4
pencil to write the info on the folder. Sometimes, staff handwriting
(including my own) becomes a problem, but at least the information is there
for years to come. We do use box labels and apply them with a glue stick.
They don't seem to come off, but sometimes need to be replaced due to
tearing.

Laren Metzer
CA State Archives