Re: labels

>The difficulties I have with the idea of using a stamp are these:
>        a. folders cannot be re-used
>        b. and, more important, do you know that you are using acid-free ink
>        c. and the accuracy of the stamper

Folders can indeed be reused. We use pencil on all of our folders, so you
only need erase specific details from one folder and replace with specifics
for new content.

Acid-free inks are available from most reputable archival suppliers, and
Conservation Resources even sells an ink based upon the old Library of
Congress formula.  That said, stamping on the tab should distance any ink
from your documents anyway.  On top of it all, unless you are paying mucho
mucho for buffered so-called "permanent" acid-free folders, your folder
will probably become acidic before any ink has a chance to migrate to a
document.  But who has a schedule to replace folders in their collections?
(I probably shouldn't ask)

I do give in a little on accuracy -- it can be hard to get the stamp to
consistently print the way you'd like it to.  But you'd be surprised what a
little practice can do.

All in all, I concede that handwritten pencil notes are the best option.
Having used rubber stamps in practice for about 6 years, however, I have
been very pleased with the results.  If nothing more, it is a clear and
consistent reminder to our student processors to ALWAYS include the
collection, box and folder number on every folder.

It also makes for a very professional "look" when you open up a box.  But
I'd better shut up now or Paul Eisloeffel will start spamming the list with
messages about little plastic pockets....

Erik Nordberg (standing firm on this one)
Michigan Tech