From:   Erik Nordberg [SMTP:enordber@MTU.EDU]
Sent:   Tuesday, April 04, 2000 3:02 PM
To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject:        Re: labels

At 11:28 AM 4/4/00 -0700, you wrote:
>As an intern at the Oregon Historical Society, we used a moveable type
>rubber stamp that allowed us to put in the MSS #, name of the collection,
>and other pertinent information on the stamp.  It was much more legible than
>my printing.
>Linda Schreiner-Mahoney, MA

We also use a rubber stamp with space for collection number, box number and
folder number.  It prints kind of like this:

       Coll. #_______  Box________  Folder________

We buy full-tab folders (i.e., there is a full folder-width area across the
top to write on) and our student workers batch stamp blank folders on the
left-hand side.  This leaves plenty of room to the right of the stamp for
content description and date information.

You should be able to buy a custom-made rubber stamp very inexpensively at
a local office supply store.  I know that I have ordered from DEMCO in the
past, too.

There have been several discussions about rubber stamps on this list
before.  You might want to follow the web address at the bottom of this
message to the web archives for the list and try a keyword search on
"stamp" or "folder" to see what you turn up.

Good luck,
Erik Nordberg
Michigan Tech

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338