Re: Anyone using APPM to catalog individual manuscripts?

Marsha,

SAA's Description Section has a fairly heavy concentration of
archivists/manuscript cataloguers.  While the site looks as though EAD, etc has
taken over description, many of us have never forgotten that we began as
cataloguers (not to be confused with copy-cataloguers...)

"Description" is the generic term.  Description takes several forms; in the
archival field the common are "genres" are finding aids and cataloguing
records.  Like so much else these days, we have found that automation and
technology are wonderful tools that enable researchers to do their thing more
efficiently.  First came MARC:AMC the "technological" catalogue record, and when
HTML became popularised with the advent of Internet stuff, finding aids began
appearing in HTML, later finding aids were created in an SGML with an
intellectual component (HTML is primarily a presentation mark-up language) for
archival description, resulting in the birth of EAD, or encoded archival
description.

Since then we have devised ways to link MARC records with finding aid pages on
the web that sort of "stand alone," or not an integral component of an online
catalogue.  The race is still on to create ways to enable researchers to search
across both, and some exciting projects are in the works...

(Hint, Peter H., I'd love to hear how the Cornell project is coming along...)

The two basic parts of description are cataloguing and finding aids.  Whether
pencilled, typed, keyboarded, coded etc., this hasn't changed.

Having said that, I'll probably hit _send_ and realise I forgot to mention
something else terribly important!

Holly Hodges
Chair, SAA Description Section

(Marsha, I'm sending more comments separately...)