Re: attachments/evil

She's BA-A-ACK... Hello again folks - just got back from spring break with
the family, so i'm a bit late weighing in on this matter.  I must agree
with most of you that I do delete 99.99% of attachments without opening
them BUT - if i really want to view an attachment (only from someone I
trust, of course), I download the file to a floppy or ZIP disk, run it thru
the virus scanner, and then open only virus-free files.  This means, of
course, that I update my virus scanner frequently, and I try to keep aware
of all the newest bugs floating out there.  Most viruses are discovered
relatively quickly and make the nightly news long before they ever show up
in my inbox.  I haven't gotten bitten yet, nor do I intend to, but I have
to admit I REALLY enjoy some of the jpg's & other attachments I've received
from time to time.   Bottom line is to educate yourself & protect your
computer by THINKING about what you're doing, not operating on auto-pilot.
ttfn - jill.

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://tundra.wr.usgs.gov/wrmrsAK/

                    "Edward M.N.
                    Winchester"                 To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    <emnw36@MAILCITY.COM        cc:
                    >                           Subject:     attachments/evil
                    Sent by: Archives &
                    Archivists
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    03/30/2000 11:26 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Archives &
                    Archivists

Me? If I want to look at an attachment, I simply go to a public terminal
rather than risk infecting my own. I figure those public ones are full of
viruses anyway...(no, I don't entirely approve of this technique, and
normally I delete attachments...just those few I feel the need to see...)

>Thou shalt not open attachments!

Send FREE April Fool's Greetings to your friends!
http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/American_Greetings.rdct