Copy Photographs

If you do copy photography in house, please read on.  At the New Jersey
Historical Society Library we have all of our photographic copying done at a
local photography lab.  Although they give us a special rate, this is still
quite expensive and time consuming and our researchers end up paying a good
deal of money for the service.  I would like to do photographic copying in
house and saw the recommendation on this list to use a Polaroid MP-4 stand
and a Nikon F3 with a Micro-Nikkor 55 f3.5 lens. I have two questions
neither of which may have great relevancy to the entire list, so please
respond to me directly (jameskaser@hotmail.com).

Question 1: Our Executive Director is skeptical about our ability to produce
high quality copies, whether we are using the right equipment, or not.  Does
it take a lot of special knowledge to take copy photographs?  (We would
continue to get the developing done elsewhere.)  Is there anything that I
can tell her to convince her that we would be able to produce reasonably
good work?

Question 2: Do you know of good places to purchase the equipment we need at
competitive prices?

Thanks for your assistance.

James Kaser, Ph.D.
Director for the Library