photo collection arrangement

I am working with a small local history archives and we are trying to
figure out the best way to physically arrange the photo collection.  All
photos are unframed, stored in acid-free envelopes, and are cataloged,
but the problem is size.  Do we arrange by accession number, categories,
dates, or size?  Our concern is that the small ones will be difficult to
access if inter-filed with the larger ones.  Also, once arrangement is
decided, should we opt for keeping the photos in metal filing cabinets
or the letter and legal sized Hollinger boxes?
Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Thank you in advance,

Susan M. Smith
SSmith@mcc.mccoak.org