Before I Hurt the Architects...

Colleagues:
We are in the process of designing a new library building, including
adding areas for exhibit cases for special collections.  The architects
are attempting to stick me with custom designed exhibit cases made of
cherry wood, even after I asked for ( I assume, cheaper) metal cases
(both flat and upright) found in Gaylord, University Products or similar
catalogs due to preservation reasons. I have all the technical
literature I need to throw in their faces as to why I don't want wooden
cases, but they keep asking "Come on, how much damage could wood REALLY
do to the stuff?"

Has anyone (more persuasive than me) been in a similar situation, and
either:

Had the perfect argument to shut them up; or
convinced the architects on getting metal cases with just a fascade of
wood for aesthetic reasons (to match to rest of the library); or
gotten stuck with wood, and then treated it somehow.

Please contact me if you would like to share your experience.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Mark Lambert
Special Collections and Government Documents Librarian
South Texas College of Law Library
Houston, TX