Re: Before I Hurt the Architects...

I have worked in two libraries which had wood exhibit cases
"designed" by architects.   In the first, the exhibit case opened
from the back.  The height of the back door was 6" x 30"....
try, just try arranging materials in the front of an exhibit case
that requires you to reach three feet in with an arm.

The second library, the wood exhibit cases had carpeting
glued to them to "make them more attractive"...not only did
the interiors constantly smell of plywood, but the carpeting
eventually began separating.

The "custom-designed" while they may look aesthetically
pleasing are just never designed for exhibits....one of our
present "designer" cases turned out to have the light switch
inside....either we ran the lights 24 hours a day over the
items on display, or have to unlock and lock the case at
the beginning and end of each day!

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338