Re: Before I Hurt the Architects...

Dear Archives List
Can anyone tell me how to treat the smell from smoke on photographs and
documents after a fire?
Thanks
Audrey Johnson, County Historian
Monroe County Local History Room
200 W. Main St., Sparta, WI 54656

Audry:
First, there are no magic fixes. Second, begin with the simplest and
cheapest, setting things out so at least some of the smell will dissipate.
You need good air circulation. Brief exposure (30-40 minutes) to direct
sunlight can also help for normal documents (no early copying processes,
for example), but I'd not do this with photo materials. You may have to
live with some of the smell. When storing these items, I'd use MicroChamber
Paper from Conservation Resources to absorb the deterioration products.

Michael McColgin
Conservation Officer
Arizona History and Archives Division
mimccol@dlapr.lib.az.us