Re: Before I Hurt the Architects...

Hey Mark. Isn't their something called Marvoseal or something catchy like
that that you can line the wood interior with? Also, I think you can paint
the interior with a paint that has titanium in it. If those aren't useful,
I'd like to hear it from the list.

I like the facade idea - maybe a case-within-a-case design.

Stephanie

>Colleagues:
>We are in the process of designing a new library building, including
>adding areas for exhibit cases for special collections.  The architects
>are attempting to stick me with custom designed exhibit cases made of
>cherry wood, even after I asked for ( I assume, cheaper) metal cases
>(both flat and upright) found in Gaylord, University Products or similar
>catalogs due to preservation reasons. I have all the technical
>literature I need to throw in their faces as to why I don't want wooden
>cases, but they keep asking "Come on, how much damage could wood REALLY
>do to the stuff?"
>
>Has anyone (more persuasive than me) been in a similar situation, and
>either:
>
>Had the perfect argument to shut them up; or
>convinced the architects on getting metal cases with just a fascade of
>wood for aesthetic reasons (to match to rest of the library); or
>gotten stuck with wood, and then treated it somehow.
>
>Please contact me if you would like to share your experience.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Mark
>
>Mark Lambert
>Special Collections and Government Documents Librarian
>South Texas College of Law Library
>Houston, TX
>
>A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List!

>      In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
>                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

>     http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
>Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

Stephanie Swenson Towery