Re: Census Form as Time Capsule

The Census Bureau uses a data capture system for Census records, so no one
at the Census actually reads the forms. Once data is extracted however,
the information that is captured is reviewed and edited to remove
miscellaneous, unrelated information that people sometimes include on
their forms (or remove fake information, i.e. an entry with the head of
the household listed as Mickey Mouse).

Regarding the 2000 Census and what will be available for researchers in
2072, the earliest that information about individuals can be made
available to the public, see: http://www.nara.gov/nara/census.html.

--Tanya Marshall

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Michael Ravnitzky wrote:

> I used my Census Form, in addition to answering the questions, as a type of
> time capsule since apparently they are opened after 80 years or so.  I wrote
> a note on it to the year 2080!
>
> Unless they simply extract the data from the form, someone may actually read
> it.
>
> Michael Ravnitzky

Tanya L. Marshall, M.L.S.

College of Library and Information Services
4111C Hornbake Library
University of Maryland
College Park, MD  20742

E-mail: tlm@wam.umd.edu