Re: document cameras

Hi Lisa,

I don't know exactly what Casper College is using, but we've done something
similar with a simple camcorder.  Mounted on a copy stand and pointed
straight down to a light box, the camcorder will project the image in front
of it to a TV monitor.  Here's the catch: The camcorder must have a polarity
switch, which allows it to capture a negative of the image it's shooting
(often called a "negative-positive" switch on the camcorder itself).  Thus,
a negative image of a photographic negative comes out positive on the TV
screen!  (Now THAT's a double-negative for you!).  Such camcorders are
harder to come by these days -- the one we use is a Toshiba and it's several
years old.  You might be able to do the same thing with a positive-only
camcorder hooked into a video capture card or device in a computer,
switching the polarity through the capture device's software or something
like PhotoShop, but that's way more complicated.  Good luck!

-Paul

Paul J. Eisloeffel
Curator of Manuscripts and Audio-Visual Collections
Nebraska State Historical Society
P.O. Box 82554
Lincoln, NE 68501
(402) 471-4750