Masking Tape on Glass

Title: Masking Tape on Glass

We have a large art collection donated some years back and we are doing an appraisal. The art was shipped with masking tape covering the glass. I am looking for the best solution to remove the masking tape. It looks like we will have to disassemble the paintings to take the masking tape off.

Any suggestions? The masking take is about 8 years old and has dried. There is just enough adhesive the make a razor blade ineffective.

Thanks

Ray Cunningham
Manager of Records Services
University of Illinois Foundation