Re: Internet

Dean wrote:
>Unfortunately I'm seeing more and more of the "sloppy"
>research....and statements like "gee, I can't find any early
>Florida newspapers on the internet" (as in why aren't they
>all scanned and online)....

I monitor a bulletin board dealing with local history for a certain city and
recently I got in an email discussion with two posters concerning the same
issue. "why aren't all the documents available on line.... why aren't all the
photographs online?" They couldn't understand why it wasn't possible. I even
pointed out to them an article about a Texas state agency that was trying to
raise money to preserve rare maps and documents. They thought the money would
be better spent scanning and putting the information on line. Most recently a
discussion concerning whether or not nostalgic references were to be
considered reliable historic sources.  That was a tough one.

I try to help my daughter distinguish what is a reliable website and what
isn't.

Dean also wrote:
>I do not believe it is possible for software to evaluate the
>validity of the content of an internet site, as I think Peter
>suggested.

Hopefully I didn't suggest that, if I did shame on me. I agree with Dean I
don't think it is possible to get SW to evaluate a website. I should no
better than to make a suggestion like that. I have a tough enough time using
search terms like records files documents and archives each night trying to
find news stories to expect that software to accurately distinguish between a
site with Venus d'Milo on it and a porn site inhabited by Venus. I think it
will always take the good ole Mark O dual-orbed, hardwired scanning unit
connected to the Mark O multi-neural, multi-pathed computer to do the actual
evaluations, unfortunately that system is not easily networked.

Peterk
pakurilecz@aol.com