video storage containers

I'd like some broad opinions fromthose out there with large video (VHS/SVHS)
storage experience.

I have recently read that videos shelf-life is enhanced if the casettes are
stored standing on end. The logic behind this is???

Our institution has some 600 c.f. of legislative videos presently stored, on
end, in traditional letter/legal 1 c.f. acid free boxes; we can fit little
more than 35 - 40 videos per box in this manner. All are in a
temperature/hunidity-controlled vault.

The problem with this present oversize box storage method is that the videos
are labeled on their spines/sides, which makes them exceedingly difficult to
easily find, keep in order, refile, etc. Take two or three out of the
carton, and they flop around, get out of order, and so on. Ugh!

I'm toying with the idea of side-storage in metal edge archival photo boxes
that would take 12 - 15 tapes per box, but want to know more about the
long-term preservation aspects first. Id' really rather be able to see the
spine/side labels to make things easier for the staff.

All ideas and suggestions are cheerfully welcomed.

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
California State Archives