Before I Hurt the Architects...

Mark:
It's probably worth exploring custom-designed exhibit cases that are
fabricated by people who understand both preservation and aesthetic concerns
(not architects!).  Helmut Guenschel Inc. is the only name that I can think
of, but I'm sure there are other such fabricators out there.  You might get
some ideas by checking out their website (www.guenschel.com; look under
Products) or, if you can get your hands on it, looking at the
exhibit/display case advertisers in Museum News (magazine of the American
Association of Museums).

Mercy Quintos
Exhibits Coordinator
University of Virginia Library