Re: Chinese archivists.

The most accessible (and best) information in English about Chinese archives are the articles by William Moss, although they do not address the question posed by Susan Maclin.  He rightly suggests in his email that Chinese archivists do not consider their collective status to be exhalted.  However, from my short visit in September I have concluded that the status of archives in China is considerably higher than in the United States.  Of particular note is the amount of money the government is allocating for modern archival facilities (every building we toured was new within the last 5-7 years) and computer systems.  Most interesting to me was that every archivist expressed the same dual desires: 1) to ensure that the public has access to the archival record and 2) that records are used to support what the Chinese call the "knowledge-based economy."

And yes, there is a delegation of Chinese of business archivists on the way led by Shen Lihua.  Seattle is among their stops; they will visit Weyerhaeuser Company, Microsoft, and the Seattle Municipal Archives.

Scott Cline, City Archivist
Seattle Municipal Archives
600 Fourth Avenue, Room 104
Seattle, WA 98104