Re: water damaged journal

You might investigate whether the journal is available on microfilm. Glossy paper is difficult to salvage.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
Culinary Institute of America
433 Albany Post Road
Hyde Park, NY  12538-1499
(914) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Nancy Freeman <Nancy.A.Freeman@USDA.GOV> 04/28/00 12:19PM >>>
All,

I have a question regarding water damage and salvage operations for a paper
item.  A biologist here has a Belgian Journal of Zoology that unfortunately got
very wet.  When the journal dried most of the pages stuck together, particularly
toward the binding.  I can open the journal but only about three quarters of the
way.  The paper is glossy and it looks as if trying to pry apart the pages will
just tear them all.  Is there any way to get the pages unstuck?  This is not a
tremendously valuable item but took some time to come by and the biologist
really needs some of the articles.  I wanted to use the collective wisdom of the
list to see if there's a solution for this or if I need to tell him to just
start hunting for another journal!

Many thanks,
Nancy Freeman, Records Manager/Archivist
National Wildlife Research Center
4101 LaPorte Ave.
Fort Collins, CO  80521
(970) 266-6023