RAIN 05/01: Archiver?, Glitch and erasure

What is an Archiver? check out the first story to find out. The White House
email system is once again in the news.
All urls worked as of 8:30 EDT

Minneapolis/St. Paul Star Tribune 4/30/00
Youngblood: 'Idea guy' spots new opportunity in archiving superstore
http://www2.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-bin/article?thisStory=81594817

by Dick Youngblood
Despite the imposing array of businesses he's started in the past 38 years,
Bruce Thomson disputes the notion that he's any kind of gifted business
manager.
"I'm more an idea guy," said Thomson, 67, a former CPA who long ago
abandoned the accountant's inherent caution for the high-risk arena of
start-up ventures. "And I know that if you keep coming up with ideas at the
operational level, you can drive your employees crazy. So I've always had
good operating people to fall back on."

Nando Times 5/1/00
White House prepared to disclose e-mail glitch last year, memo shows.
http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500198898-500273446-50144255
1-0,00.html

by John Solomon
Associated Press
WASHINGTON (May 1, 2000 7:31 a.m. EDT http://www.nandotimes.com) - White
House officials prepared to tell Congress as early as February 1999 about a
glitch in their e-mail system and to begin retrieving thousands of
unarchived messages that might be relevant to investigators, an internal
memo shows. But they never followed through, the memo shows.
The memo, a set of talking points for testimony before congressional
appropriators, laid out the history of the problem. It disclosed that
presidential aides had solicited a bid on Oct. 20, 1998, from contractor
Northrup Grumman to retrieve e-mails that weren't archived because of the
glitch.
The contractor proposed "a design to recover the missing records," Karl H.
Heissner of the White House Office of Administration wrote on Feb. 5, 1999.
"... The approximate cost for the system design is $602,000."

Louisville Courier-Journal 4/30/00
Safety data erased at uranium plants
Records show U.S. didn't clear firms' actions
http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2000/0004/30/000430uran.html

by James R. Carroll and James Malone
PADUCAH, Ky. -- Computer records of hundreds of safety and environmental
problems at the Kentucky and Ohio uranium processing plants were erased by
the facilities' operators in 1993 without the federal government's approval.

Although the Department of Energy required the plant operators to track
their progress toward correcting the problems, the companies deleted more
than one-fourth of such records without clearance, according to court and
other documents obtained by The Courier-Journal.

The Guardian 5/2/00
White House e-mail furor rages
http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/Breaking_News/US/0,3560,155562,00.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House is raising the possibility it may invoke
executive privilege to keep Congress from seeing some documents in the
controversy over missing e-mails that are under subpoena, documents
disclosed Monday.
Meanwhile, investigators are poring over memos suggesting presidential aides
could have begun retrieving the missing messages more than a year ago to see
if they should have been turned over to investigations ranging from
Whitewater to impeachment.

Baltimore Sun 5/1/00
Norris won't open his files
City councilwoman requests records for police chief-designee
http://www.sunspot.net/content/news/story?section=news-maryland-sun&pagename
=story&storyid=1150330211440

by Peter Hermann
Baltimore's police Commissioner-designee Edward T. Norris is refusing a city
councilwoman's request to review his personnel file, which spans two decades
of service in New York City.
Norris said he is not hiding anything and has answered almost every question
posed during weeks of hearings and community meetings, including assuring
people that he goes to church. The acting commissioner said the New York
file has detailed information about his personal life and his wife and
child. He fears releasing such information is irrelevant to his job and
could jeopardize their safety.
"My record is spotless as a police officer," Norris said Friday. "I've never
had one hour of discipline meted out against me. I have never fired my
weapon once in the line of duty, and I spent 16 years doing dangerous jobs."

Duluth News Tribune 5/1/00
Tissue bank will correct inaccurate donor records
http://www.duluthnews.com/today/dnt/local/tiss.htm

Associated Press
MADISON -- A private Madison tissue bank says it soon will resolve
record-keeping problems that prompted safety concerns by the U.S. Food and
Drug Administration.
Allograft Resources of Wisconsin told the FDA that by the end of May it will
fix records that inaccurately listed the destination of skin sent from at
least 10 donors.

Shreveport Times 5/1/00
Computer filing system helps hospital upgrade its records
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/news/050100/201/6512.htm

by David Westerfield
Patient records that once bulged in three-inch-thick folders now slide
neatly into files that are just millimeters thick.
The new folders are electronic and are stored in the computerized patient
record system at the Overton Brooks VA Medical Center.

Washington Post 5/1/00
Restoring the Old Tariff's Glory
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45399-2000Apr30.html

by Jackie Spinner
There is the business of restoration. And then there is the art. This is a
story about both.
It begins and ends at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia,
a museum and school founded in 1805, where a paper trail of receipts and
correspondence led the architects and historians who are renovating the U.S.
Tariff Commission Building in downtown Washington.

Los Angeles Times 5/1/00
A sea change in search engine strategy
http://www.latimes.com/business/20000501/t000040927.html

by Karen Kaplan
Plenty of companies have tried to make better Internet search engines by
mimicking the way the human brain works. Now an Ojai start-up is taking a
different approach: Its search engine is patterned after the brain of a
dolphin.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Woodside Summit Group, Inc
Richmond, Virginia