Fwd: (Fwd) Vietnam

My only comment on this would be that while Diem might well have been a
totally incompetent leader, he was not particularly corrupt.  At least in
the sense of enriching himself at the expense of his country. His brother
and sister-in-law were apparently far more corrupt.

DIem for all his faults was a nationalist, and patriotic.  Even Ho said as
much.

Diem's biggest problem was that making the changes necessary to garner
popular support meant setting himself up for a coup.  His palace had already
been divebombed by the South Vietnamese Airforce, or factions thereof, and
no doubt he had little desire to end his life as he finally did, shot up
inside of an armored personnel carrier (or tank, I forget which.)

This is not meant to defend Diem who does seem to have been totally
clueless.

Donald

which Ho Chi Minh would have
easily
> > won, by every account) and then maneuvered to install a series of
corrupt
> > buffoons (Bao Dai, Diem, and various generals and political strongmen)
in
> > the newly created state of South Vietnam to do our bidding.
Therefore,