Re: RAIN

On the other side of the thermometer, in Tucson, one of the local TV stations runs a pool on when the ice will break up on the "river" (usuallly a dry river bed except for occasional times during the rainy season) there. This is  local euphemism for the temperature hitting 100 for the first time in the year. I am informed that it was up to 99, but has not hit 100 yet as of last Saturday.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Is it Friday yet?  It  *is* after 5:00...

Christine

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
Culinary Institute of America
433 Albany Post Road
Hyde Park, NY  12538-1499
(914) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Jill Schneider <jschnidr@USGS.GOV> 05/02/00 04:12PM >>>
Peter - this one's for you:  the ice on the Tanana River went out yesterday
AM, tipping the tripod at 10:47 AST.  At least 18 people will split the pot
of $335,000.  Thus concludes this year's chapter of the Nenana Ice Classic,
Alaska's oldest lottery   (ah, the things we do for amusement up on the
Last Frontier!)  ttfn - Jill.

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457