Re: Library Management Systems

Dean, we've been on Voyager for a little over a year and so far things are
working well.  We downloaded all our records for all our holdings formats
from OCLC, and it worked pretty well.  There were a few glitches, but that
was to be expected when we were among the first (if not the first) to use
Voyager for archival and manuscripts collections as well as the usual books
and serials.  We also downloaded records for photographs, maps, scores,
videotapes, artifacts, etc., so I feel we gave it a pretty good test.

As for the AMC records, they were translated into mixed materials format
pretty easily.  After AMC became defunct with the introduction of MARC
integrated format, I began using MARC mixed materials format without much
trouble (but I still really miss AMC).  The one problem we did have
downloading mss. records (and I'm not sure if this has been fixed by
Endeavor yet or not) is that some of the very old mss. records done before
there was an AMC format had some information from the physical description
field somehow converted into serial volumes, which created some weird
records at the holding and item records level.  It also imported all the 245
title fields with the wrong indicators (usually 10 instead of 00 since we
don't trace titles often), but on the whole it was very smooth.  Perhaps the
biggest hassle and most time-consuming thing was barcoding the manuscripts
collection because we circulate them in the reading room and use the
software to keep track of usage.

We still  catalog directly into OCLC and export to Voyager--works like a
charm and takes only a second.  The added time factor is once imported into
Voyager, you will need to add your holdings and item level records, which
adds the barcoding information, and depending on the size of the collection
can take only a little or a lot of time.  We barcode short collections of a
few folders at the folder level and large collections of one or more boxes
at the box level.  Bound volumes and microfilm are also barcoded at the
level of each piece.  We use hot links to connect the collection guide on
our web page with the cataloging record.  Check it out at
www.indianahistory.org.

As one of those library/archival hybrid places, with every format under the
sun in our collections, Voyager has worked well for us.  The patron
interface isn't as intuitive as some folks would like (e.g., there's no
"back" button, but other ways to get to where you just were) ut that's aout
the worst of it.  I use it daily for cataloging, reference, and patron
registration and it works well for us.  Let me know if you have more
specific questions.

Best,

Sally Childs-Helton
Indiana Historical Society Library
450 W. Ohio Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-234-0042
schilds-helton@indianahistory.org

The opinions expressed here are mine and not necessarily those of my
employer.