Re: Vietnam Collections

Lydia Fish, in the Anthropology Dept. at State University College at
Buffalo (New York) is collecting Vietnam War Folk Songs and related oral
histories. Last Friday she was interviewed on NPR (4/28/00) about the
project.

Her institution was misidentified as Buffalo State University in the
piece, resulting in a few phone calls here to University at Buffalo (UB).

UB was the site of "student unrest" related to the Vietnam War back to
1965. By Spring of 1970, the protests escalated to include police presence
on campus with outbreaks of violence that resulted in what the media
termed a "police assault" on the Student Union. Twenty-two students and
five police officers ended up in the infirmary with injuries. Later that
Spring, more protests included a demonstration by 45 faculty members
(resulting in their arrests). By May the Cambodian incursion led to more
demonstrations and confrontations with  shots reported fired in on a
campus heavily surrounded by a residential community.

The records related to the "student unrest" period are oft requested
documents by researchers and the media.

Regards,

Kathleen M. DeLaney, MA, MLS
Project Archivist