                                From:   Kathleen M Delaney
[mailto:kdelaney@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU]
                                Sent:   Wednesday, May 03, 2000 10:43 AM
                                To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                                Subject:        Re: Vietnam Collections

                                Lydia Fish, in the Anthropology Dept. at
State University College at
                                Buffalo (New York) is collecting Vietnam War
Folk Songs and related oral
                                histories. Last Friday she was interviewed
on NPR (4/28/00) about the
                                project.

                                Her institution was misidentified as Buffalo
State University in the
                                piece, resulting in a few phone calls here
to University at Buffalo (UB).

                                UB was the site of "student unrest" related
to the Vietnam War back to
                                1965. By Spring of 1970, the protests
escalated to include police presence
                                on campus with outbreaks of violence that
resulted in what the media
                                termed a "police assault" on the Student
Union. Twenty-two students and
                                five police officers ended up in the
infirmary with injuries. Later that
                                Spring, more protests included a
demonstration by 45 faculty members
                                (resulting in their arrests). By May the
Cambodian incursion led to more
                                demonstrations and confrontations with
shots reported fired in on a
                                campus heavily surrounded by a residential
community.

                                The records related to the "student unrest"
period are oft requested
                                documents by researchers and the media.

                                Regards,

                                Kathleen M. DeLaney, MA, MLS
                                Project Archivist
                                University Archives
                                420 Capen Hall
                                University at Buffalo
                                e-mail: kdelaney@acsu.buffalo.edu
                                tel: 716-645-2916
                                fax: 716-645-3714

                                On Tue, 2 May 2000, STEVEN P. FISHER wrote:

                                >  I thought it might be productive to
expand this thread into a dialogue
                                > relating to what we do. Who is collecting
Vietnam material? At the
                                > University of Denver we are now collecting
material relating to civilian
                                > women who served in Vietnam. A group known
as the Circle of Sisters has
                                > been depositing materials with us. Talk
about unsung heroes ...

                                >  Anyone else want to share what they are
collecting in this area?

                                >  Steve Fisher
                                >  University of Denver
                                >
                                > A posting from the Archives & Archivists
LISTSERV List!

to listserv@listserv.muohio.edu