Re: Use statistics

Well I had to re-read the original query after reading the various answers.
All of the answers provided so far are great as regards who is using the
archives. I guess when I think of use I think of items and time.  For example
How many boxes were retrieved
How many folders were retrieved
How many photographs were retrieved
How long was the researcher in the facility.(Really important -- when I
started with a public library we collected statistics once a year. The
archives was compared to the very active public areas. We might have 15
serious researchers all day (from open to close) An area like Business &
technology would get that many people every minute. We were only allowed to
count the person once even though we might interact with the individual all
day)
How many photocopies were requested, produced
How many photographs ordered, slides, etc.
How many reels of microfilm refiled or retrieved.
How many phone calls
How much time was spent researching a phone query.
How much time was spent answering a mail query,

These are activities that are part of the job.

Track how long it takes to retrieve items, and how long to refile them.

For individual data be sure to compile what zip codes a researcher comes from.
Finally if a researcher says you did a great job and thanks you for assisting
them be sure and ask them to write it down and send it to your
director/manager/whatever. Attaboys are hard to come by and are very useful
in stressful times.

Good luck

Peter Kurilecz
pakurilecz@aol.com