organization schemes

When I started working at the CIA last July, I set up an organization
scheme for the archives based on departments; that is, each major
department has a number, and functions that fall under it have a
number that is a subset of the main number. For example, the Vice
President of Development is 29, and some of the numbers under that are
29.1, Development; 29.2, Annual Gifts; 29.3, Major Gifts, 29.4, Alumni
Affairs, etc.

A few weeks ago, the CIA administration announced some major
reorganizing. For example, Employee Benefits, which is currently 28.5
in my scheme, is being moved from 28 Finance, to 4 Operations.

I am curious to know how other people who have filing systems based
on the organizational chart handle such reorganization in their
institutions. One suggestion I had privately from an experienced
friend is to leave material now in the files where it is, and to start
new files in the appropriate numbers for any material that comes in
after the reorganization. So I would have Employee Benefits as 28.5,
under Finance up through April 2000, and then have a new Employee
Benefits category, 4.X under Operations from 2000 until such time as
it gets moved somewhere else.

Thanks for any input people can give me.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
Culinary Institute of America
433 Albany Post Road