Re: odors coming from Audio and video collections

Its longevity will depend on its storage temperature.  If your budget permits, you should get new copies made from the negatives as soon as possible.
This may have to be done by Kodak or some other bulk film processor.  I don't know exactly where you are located.  Eventually, the film will start to curl and get brittle, which is the problem I am having with our 1945-era microfilm.  If the records are important to you, you should take action now.

>>> Katrina Bowling <katbowling@YAHOO.COM> 05/11 3:15 PM >>>
Vinegar syndrome is occuring to some of our older
microfilm.  Out of curiousity, how long will it take
for this film to become unusable.  Our microfilm is
stored in cabinets in the public area.  Environmental
control is out of the question.

Katrina M. Bowling
Kenton County Public Library

<rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>