Re: odors coming from Audio and video collections

The Image Permanence Institute website now includes a free downloadable
version of the "Preservation Calculator" which will calculate the estimated
"life" of acetate-based film at a wide variety of  storage conditions. It is
easy to use and quite informative.  Its URL is:
http://www.rit.edu/~661www1/sub_pages/frameset2.html

However, perhaps a better solution for dealing with deteriorating
acetate-based film is to have it duplicated onto silver halide,
polyester-based film which will provide a longevity rating of 500 years.
For more information on the problems posed by acetate-based film and the
duplication services that Preservation Resources provide, please visit our
website:
http://www.oclc.org/oclc/presres/micrographic/other_services.htm

Inez Wiatrowski
Assistant Project Manager