Re: Advisory Boards

The issue of advisory boards is a tricky one.  In libraries that I've
worked, control over the archives, budget, staffing, etc. is legally
that of the University.   The mission statement of an advisory
board must state that it is advisory, that its decisions are forwarded
to the library administration for approval....it does not hurt to have
the Library Director as a voting or ex-officio member of the
Advisory Board as well as the Archives or Director of the Archives.

Clearly you need to first write down those things that you think
the advisory board should do:    propose new collections?
publicize? recruit volunteers? raise money?   Think like an advisory
board member....if you're asking me to commit to time and
effort, what am I really doing?    Once you have an idea of what
the board should do, then you have to dovetail those activities
into the approval process of the University.... usually a mission
statement should be drawn up and discussed by the board and
not simply presented to them.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338