Re: sources for movable shelving

Good morning!

Just a comment about SpaceSavers...as one who has to operate them daily
(times 6 floors of stacks!) in California State Archives, I like them a
great deal. We have the manual versions, with the three-handled operating
wheels. Personally, I'd prefer them to have circular operating wheels, or at
least have a "cheater," but they work well.

The only problems I've noted (this first one is a rarity) is that if the
SpaceSaver unit get very heavily loaded, and someone puts a lot of strain on
the moving mechanism, it can get a bit out of whack.

Another difficulty involves the pull-out roller tracks on the small pull-out
shelves (used for searching through or pulling records). Several of our
shelf roller/track assemblies have popped their rivets, and the little shelf
becomes almost useless. I suspect that a heavily-loaded 1 cf carton can put
quite a bit of strain on these tray-type shelves. See if your bidders can
show you in-person how durable their products components are.

You'd do really well to examine the warranties of each manufacturer to get
the longest possible service contract. Otherwise, you'll probably be
dependent on your own institution's building maintenance staff for repairs
after the warranty is expired.

I can no longer imagine a sizeable archive without telescopic or portable
shelving.

Kevin Bunker
Student Assistant
California State Archives