Re: Mime format

>>Can someone on the list tell me about the messages that come in MIME
format?
>>Specifically I would love to know if when I can't read a message is the
>>fault on my end, in my computer, or is it in our (the listserv's) that
can't
>>read those messages? Thanks.

Mime is just that -- a format. It is used to represent non-ASCII characters.
There is no "fault", it is just that your e-mail program and their's are not
using the same format. Your e-mail program might be using uuencode (a unix
based format). Yes, you usually can still read the messages, you just have
to work a little harder to open them. You  might look at the headers, it
should tell you what format is being used. If you can get to the headers,
look for some other way to get details. As long as it is text, you should be
able to find a way to read the message. If they have sent pictures, you will
either have to change your format, or forget about it. You should be able to
change the format your e-mail program is using in the preferences or options
area, if you have a choice. Some mailers, unfortunately, do not allow
changes in format  If that fails and you are intent on opening the files, I
would try TUCOWS or some other .com for a utilities program that might help
convert the format

Jackie Saturley
Librarian / Archivist
Roseville Public Library