Re: Advice Needed

Lamonica--

You might want to investigate whether there is some way the work you are doing as an archival assistant can be used as a practicum, since the things you are doing are the sorts of things that people would do for a practicum. You might also find some aspect of this work that would be interesting to investigate for a thesis. Even though you are already doing archival work, you probably will learn some interesting things from the two archival management courses.

I have an MLS, and earned a 15-credit certificate in archival studies through Long Island University. At the time I earned the certificate, I was a "mature student" with many years of librarianship behind me. I had just been given, as half of my position, the responsibilities of being a New York State Documentary Heritage Program Regional Archivist. Because it would have been a little touchy for me to do an internship in one of the 300 or so institutions I was supposed to be advising, I was able to work out a project I could do as part of my job and use that to fulfill the internship requirement. I also chose paper topics to be relevant to my work, with the goal of learning as much as possible that was relevant to my work.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

(note change of address as of May 2000)
Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(914) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Lamonica Jenkins <ljenkins@MAIL.GCSU.EDU> 05/23/00 11:17AM >>>
I am a graduate student in History(MA).  I do not intend to pursue a PhD in
History.  I intend to be an archivist.  I have the option of going the
thesis or non-thesis route.  If I go the thesis route I am also eligible to
have an "Archival Management Concentration" designation on my diploma.
This concentration would require me to take two courses:  Archival Theory &
Issues and Archival Methods & Practice.  In addition, I would be required
to complete a 300 hour practicum in an archival institution as well as  a
thesis on a topic of historical significance to me and my thesis committee.