Re: archival experiences

 Must be a full moon or something. Last week I finally took possession of
the papers of a former Chancellor of our University who left office in
1967! The former archivist here and then myself had been after this
reluctant donor for over thirty years. The man had taken his papers
with him when he retired and was so attached to them that he could
not part with them. Every time I would call about his papers ( which was
probably over two dozen times over the years ) he would say "I did not
know you wanted them" and we would start a frustrating cat and mouse game
all over again.

 Last week he was moving out of his current office ( yes he had an office
on campus as Chancellor Emeritus ) and we finally got the call. With tears
in his eyes he watched us pack up his material, and I really did worry
about his having a heart attack or some other catastrophic event as he is
now in his nineties and a bit frail, though sharp as a tack. All went
well as it turned out.

 Just goes to show we do live somewhat parallel lives out here in archives
land ...

 Steve Fisher
 University of Denver