large-scale digital storage

Morning,

[aren't I being talkative lately?  Actually this is an O-fficial question
for the archivists assembled...]

We've been digitizing our photo collections like mad over the past
year or three, at the behest of the library director and for all those
good reasons we all know; ease of access, preservation through
using the digital copies for patrons rather than dragging them out to
be handled, posting on the www, and so on.  A big motivator is the
upcoming Winter Olympics, when we expect to be innudated with
requests for old-timey ski photos by French TV stations and
everyone else and their respective dogs.  I'd rather have digital files
available than be wearing out the original photos.  We're also talking
about digitizing our collections of ski films for the same reasons,
which of course takes up lots and lots of digital storage room.

However, now we've run into a jam: the computer where they are
stored, which has a 27-gigabyte drive, is filling up.  We've been
backing them up on CDs, but I've been  exploring other, less
cumbersome back-up and storage options, such as a Jaz drive, a
mini-server, another hard drive, whatever.  The problem is the same
computer that contains the stored digital files also runs the scanner,
the slide scanner, a zip drive (although I'm thinking about taking it
off) a CD burner, and the new Kodak thermal image printer; so it's
out of ports.  I have to confess I haven't heard a solution from
downstairs--the library computer folks--that I've liked; nor do I want
to trust my fates to their sometimes techno-geeky leanings.  (nothing
against techno-geeks, mind you!)

So the question is:  what have other folks in the profession done
toward this end, i.e. large scale (300 gigabyte or so) storage of
digital image files?

Thanks as always,

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist