Approaching the grieving

I second Charles Schulz's recommendation that an SAA session be prepared
to promote discussion of this topic.  Ever since I lived in San Francisco,
I've been a regular reader of obituaries.  I used to come across great
stories of the passing of children of "pioneers," as well as colorful
neighborhood characters such as one memorably proud and popular
garbageman. Everywhere I've lived since, I've found obituaries to be great
sources for snippets of local history, and professionally, I have wondered
about archival sources these people are leaving behind.

I have written a few letters to families in response to obituaries I've
read, and I actually have gotten a few responses.  But geeze, it's
delicate, and I have wondered if other archivists have advice about
approaching these potential donors who are grieving family members. So
this line of discussion is very interesting to me.  Any advice on when or
how to approach the grieving survivors?  Any more success stories?  (Yes
it is preferable to contact folks before they die, but so often you are
not aware of who they are or what they did until a story appears in
the obituary.)

L. Rebecca Johnson Melvin
Special Collections
University of Delaware Library