Re: responses to my research request regarding railroad records

Yet one more idea, Joann:

Perhaps Texas has the equivalent of California's State Board of Equalization
with a Railroad Taxation unit or a Public Utilities Commission with a
railroad regulatory unit. The records might not be public, but it's worth a
shot if you can't find anything anywhere else.

I'm not sure which railroad(s) historically served Flatonia, but the
successor companies are reduced to two: Burlington Northern Santa Fe (which
has deposited most of its historical records with the Minnesota Historical
Society in Duluth, MN) and the Union Pacific (its archives are largely
intact ond on deposit with the Western Heritage Museum in Omaha. However, UP
has acquired so many other railroads in the far west, including Texas, that
there is no guarantee that they have 1)what you want, or 2) that the records
are processed and available for research).

My 2 cents worth...

Kevin Bunker
Student Assistant
California State Archives