for Roy Webb and scanning

Around here we are attempting to do the following:

We are dealing with limited funds but the best scenario seems to be to put
scanned
images into an easy to access, web server not place them onto hardcopy
backup if
possible (cd, dvd, or tape). There seems to be a good route to, by two
cheaper servers
(about $3000 each), use Linux software RAID which is free, with four of the
new IBM
75 Gig eide drives in each of the 40 Gif drives from Maxtor.  Both will
contain duplicate
copies of the data and both are placed online making them appear through a
web site
as one.  The creates a high availability "site" and gives you redundancy.
If a third
machine is used in will be for local use and will not be connected to the
web. New
files or images or ? are added to this machine and then automatically copied
overnight
to the others. We will still need a backup through cd, dvd, or tape so
"archive" the
data (hate that work archive).  So we get security backup via cd, dvd, or
tape, redundancy
and high availability (one server fails-take offline and fix it). If we
cluster more
that 2, say 3, all the better.

Bill Jones
CSU, Chico