Lysol

It would depend on whether the originals given to the patron are
important, such as a letter signed by a notable public figure.

To make copies for the patrons use would be the best idea, but you might
be spreading the mole spores around in handling the items.  I really
think the patron would be understanding about a delay in handling the
items until they were "cleaner" or you could furnish "clean" copies.  By
not attempting to protect the patron's health, you could be liable.
Common sense should be your best guide.

In processing, I came across a batch of soggy files that had grown
considerable mold.  We have no funds for special handling and most of
the items in the files were clippings.  Although I began handling the
items without protection, I soon began to sniffle.  So I obtained and
wore gloves and a mask--fortunately, as a hospital, we have a good
supply.  I also made sure I washed my hands (up to the elbows)
thoroughly when the job was done.

I was able to peel each item from the others (while still damp) and lay
them on wax paper on open wire racks.  I then sprayed the more important
items -- letters with signatures -- with Lysol ("kills mold and mildew")
disinfectant spray.  The racks were placed in a locked "cage" of a large
well-ventilated air-conditioned storeroom.

When the items were dry, I was able to erase the dried mold off the
letters with an art gum eraser, then photocopied them and placed the
signed letters in polyester sleeves.  I photocopied the newspaper
clippings and tossed the originals.

I do wonder if the use of the Lysol will result in a different form of
deterioration.  However, the letters no longer have the musty order of
mold.  The information in the letters is more important than the actual
letters, but those with signatures would be interesting in a display,
especially without the mold!  This way they aren't a total loss.

Leslie Wagner
Archivist
Methodist Hospitals of Dallas