From: Rob Dishon <rdishon@LAGCC.CUNY.EDU>
To: <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: building telephone lines or electric poles

Arline-

My family also owns one of the "long" shovels that you mention.  My
grandfather always told me it was used for removing the dirt from the holes
dug for telephone poles.  Ours has the actual "blade" of the shovel slightly
upturned so as to create a "pocket" for the dirt so that it didnt fall back
in the hole on the way out.  I am pretty sure that Con-Ed here in NYC has an
archives and might be able to supply some information on it.  I would check
with your local utilities to see if any of them maintain archives or
"history collections"

Good Luck

Rob Dishon
LaGuardia and Wagner Archives