Re: PDF As A Standard

This is an interesting discussion of PDF,especially in
light of the discussion I was having with a small
newspaper publisher. He suggested that rather than
microfilming newspapers PDF versions would be
preferable. I pointed out that there would be no
additional intellectual access, only physical (through
the internet). This did not concern him---but it does
me. Publisher produced PDF archived somehow seems
fine, but producing it from extant papers doesn't. I
think user expectations would be raised and
dashed---when customers hear a newspaper is
web-accessible they expect full-text keyword
searching.

Matthew Gilmore
DC Newspaper Project
dcplgem@hotmail.com