Re: PDF As A Standard

The Selected Archives at Georgia Tech and Emory (SAGE) Project provides access to text using PDFs and either GIF images or text files.  We chose to use PDFs because they facilitate navigation and printing and because they are a defacto standard for web documents.  On the other hand, many of our users are unfamiliar with plug-ins and therefore had trouble downloading and installing the Adobe Reader.  In addition, remote users had a bit of a wait while longer documents loaded.  We wanted to provide access without requiring a
plug-in and to allow users to view a single page from a document without having to download the entire document (so that they could see if it was what they wanted.)  Georgia Tech (http://gtel.gatech.edu/projects/holocaust/index.html) chose to supplement its PDFs by providing access to text documents using HTML mark-up.  Emory (http://sage.library.emory.edu/) chose to develop a page-turner for GIF images.  Like many of the other projects mentioned, we maintain off-line TIFFs as our "master images."

Naomi Nelson
SAGE Project Manager
Emory University