Scanning photos

Hi -

In Rachel Galan's recent posting concerning scanning policies, she included
the link to LSU's policy.  In their policy, they state: "Photographs will
not be scanned for patrons due to the damage caused by the scanning
process."  Can anyone address just exactly what kind of "damage" is caused
by scanning?  We use UV plexiglass when we xerox a photo - should we be
doing the same when we scan?  Will one scan really cause damage?  Has anyone
done any research into this?

Mary Huelsbeck
Recorder
Neville Public Museum of Brown County