Re: Reference Hours

In Special Collections we work 9-5 Mon Wed Fri, open to the public 1-5 pm.
Sat. we are here and open 9-5
Tues and Thurs we are here and open 1-9 pm.

In my case the Archives is closed 3 mornings each week to the public. I'm doing processing, creating indexes, researching for and answering mail. Much of my "closed to the public time" is also spent supplying information and visuals to city depts., local historic preservation organization WHALE, and the New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park.

Appointments are required, though I will serve the occasional walkin if I am available and their request isn't overly involved.

Our policy is posted and made available to anyone inquiring about research in the Archives Room. Researchers must sign a registration form on their first visit. This is kept on file for subsequent visits. Items are gathered and ready for their use when they arrive in the Archives. I have a very flexible schedule and will shift days off, etc. to fit the researcher's needs, within reason. No extensions of closing time or coming in at 6:00 am. Don't laugh, I've had the 6:00 am. request.

Our collections are quite historically significant (particularly Whaling and Civil War collections) and though I have had questions about the need for appointments, once explained there have been no further complaints.

Though I understand Dean's perspective that when we are here we should serve the researchers, I also must point out that I can not have unprocessed collections out on tables while I go help someone decipher 18th century handwriting. I also think we should give our full attention to our users who in most cases are from out of the area, have limited time, and much to look though.

Tina V. Furtado, archivist
Archives Room - New Bedford Free Public Library
613 Pleasant Street
New Bedford, MA  Tel : (508) 961-3104  Fax: (508) 991-6368
e-mail : tfurtado@sailsinc.org