career for the curious?

As a potential grad student in Archives I was wondering is some of you
could answer a simple question.  Do you find your career to be one
fitting for someone who loves to constantly learn about the
world/history? It seems from the outside to be so, but then I see so
many specifics about data management and things which don't necessarily
interest me other than a means to an end (access to knowledge).  Do you
working pros get to actually learn from your materials and while helping
others access that info. rather than just filing it away and pointing it
out to others, or should I be looking into another field for the
infinitely curious?
Clint Wilson