Re: "permanent loan" vs "gift"

Here, here!  One aspect of all of this "gift," vs "loan" trouble is to look at your institution's earlier documents.  As happened in Georgia,  when a draft of the Confederate Constitution was taken by a family member after over 90 years of the museum retaining it.  This document was sold to a private dealer/collector.  Forever lost to the public.  I have a feeling that most of the time,  your institution will be ok,
but it doesn't hurt to make sure.
Just a thought,
Alex Rankin
Archivist