Re: Oral History-related inquiry

>>> <M61ks@ALTAVISTA.COM> 06/19/00 02:00PM >>>
Dear list members,

I am looking for different versions of agreements used by oral history archives, or archives with oral history holdings. These would be releases signed by those who had been interviewed, which would give (or deny) permission to use the content of the interview for different purposes. Some agreements permit the use of material in printed form only, some agreements have blanket coverage (including use in a digital format), and others are intended to keep the material for in-house use only. Thus far (my research is in its early stages), I have contacted two organizations about the forms that they use, but any guidance from list members to online resources they find particularly well-constructed or authoritative would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
M. Segal
Washington, DC

Three examples follow.  They can be amended to fit a variety of conditions, according to the donor's wishes.

[Example One]

        NATIONAL ARCHIVES AND RECORDS ADMINISTRATION

        LYNDON BAINES JOHNSON LIBRARY

        Legal Agreement Pertaining to the Oral History Interviews of

        (Name)

In accordance with the provisions of Chapter 21 of Title 44, United States Code, and subject to the terms and conditions hereinafter set forth, I,  (Name) of (Place of residence), do hereby give, donate and convey to the United States of America all my rights, title and interest in the tape recordings and transcripts of the personal interviews conducted on (Dates), and prepared for deposit in the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library.

This assignment is subject to the following terms and conditions:

                        (1)     During my lifetime, the transcripts shall be available only to those researchers who have secured my written authorization.  Thereafter, the transcripts shall be available to all researchers.

                        (2)     During my lifetime, the tape recordings shall be available only to those researchers who have secured my written permission.  Thereafter, the tape recordings shall be available to all researchers.

                        (3)     I hereby assign to the United States Government all copyright I may have in the interview transcript and tape.

        (4)     During my lifetime, copies of neither the transcripts nor the tape recordings may be provided by the library to researchers except upon my written authorization.  Thereafter, copies of the transcripts and tape recordings may be provided by the library to researchers upon request.

                        (5)     During my lifetime, copies of the transcripts and tape recordings may not be deposited in or loaned to institutions other than the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library.  Thereafter, copies of the transcripts and tape recordings may be deposited in or loaned to other institutions.

                                        Donor

                                        Date

                                        Archivist of the United States

                                        Date

[...]

Why pay when you don't have to? Get AltaVista Free Internet Access now!
http://jump.altavista.com/freeaccess4.go